First Unix

Question was asked of me the otherday, "How long have you been using Unix"

Answer, 18 years since September 1986.

My first Unix system was a PDP 11/44 running AT&T Version 7 Unix. Used for witting COBOL using ed and unipad editors. I was particularly good with "ed" which if I remember was also in early versions of MS DOS. You couldn't get me off the system which held about 24 VT100 terminals. Many a late night waiting over vt100 terminal for compilation and waiting at the line printer for that COBOL program to print.

Picture of PDP11-44







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Solaris 11 Locale en_GB.UTF-8 / en_GB.ISO8859-1 / en_GB.ISO8859-15

Scheduled network capture on Windows using Wireshark (tshark.exe)

Can you use Solaris wanboot to boot a system into single user mode?